Friday, August 04, 2006

Moin moin!

This is how indigenous people from Hamburg say "Good morning", "Good evening", "Good bye" and even "I'm fine" to each other! So far what most of the Germans already know. And they also think that every Hamburgian uses this expression day-by-day. So did I when I entered a Hamburgian bakery for first time in my life, said "Moin moin" - and of course the waitresse didn't understand!
And, dear friends, there's a second mythos I have to deconstruct: the weather in Hamburg is not as bad as everybody thinks. Infact during this week that I'm here, it was quite sunny and warm and only a few raindrops (except of the kind of little taifun that we had three days a ago).

Right now I'm sitting in my office at the German Institute of Oriental Studies, it's Monday afternoon and before leaving for the afterwork party I decided to set a small post.
When I turn to the right and look outside the window I can see the southern part of the Alster, that is, let's say, the Golden Horn of Hamburg, with lots of white small sailing ships on it, surrounded by both beautiful historical buildings and more or less modern office complexes. (In the end of the month probably I will put the most beautiful and interesting pictures on my photo-page.)
Concerning my work, I may say that I'm not doing too much. This is due to the fact that 1. it's holidays now so lots of scientists who are usually working at the institute are not here; 2. my boss himself, Prof. Udo Steinbach, who is working on Turkey, is on holidays until 15th Augst and so I don't get any work from him; and 3. I still do not yet know about my final thesis' subject in detail so I cannot really start with the literature research. But I'm sure that this situation will change with each week more that I'm here, and anyway, I though have more time for getting to know and enjoying the city.
I'll tell you more, soon!

Best wishes, moin moin!
Lütfü

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home